EO4SD forest management
The Land Use /Land Cover and Change products presents the status of, and changes in, land use and land cover. The information is derived from high resolution (HR) satellite data of a spatial resolution between ten and thirty meters.
The Land Use/ Land Cover Status product uses a (hierarchical) land use/ land cover classification scheme, where land cover and/or functional use of land is presented at a granularity level that matches that of the satellite data.
The Land Use/ Land Cover Change product shows the conversion of land use/ land cover from one class to another between two points in time. The classification scheme for a status and a change product can be adapted to user requirements.
Land use/ land cover and change maps provide fundamental base information for a wide variety of forest monitoring and spatial planning tasks.
The products enable an accurate assessment of forest extent, loss and gain, and to identify areas of deforestation. They can also be used in combination with emission factors (EF) to assess the greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions associated with land and forest change:
- Assessment of Activity Data for REDD+
- Analysis of Degradation and deforestation
- Sustainable Forest Management (SFM)
- Forest Management / planning
- Planning of Forest Landscape Restoration (FLR)
Identification of Drivers of Deforestation and Forest Degradation.
Technology and know-how transfer to Gabonese Agency of Space Observations Studies (AGEOS).
Activity Data – Support to Forest Reference Emmission Levels (FRELs)
Technology and know-how transfer to Gabonese Agency of Space Observations Studies (AGEOS)
Change Area statistics for Deforestation Degradation (DD)
Uncertainty levels (Confidence Interval)
- Detailed mapping of land use / land cover into classes such as forest land, crop land, grassland, wetland, settlement.
- Changes can be mapped between two or more points in time, showing changes from one type of land use to any other type of land use, or vice versa.
Regional, National, Sub-national, Local
TEMPORAL COVERAGE & FREQUENCY
Historical data and/or specific dates (e.g. 2010) can be used.
Continuous update is possible (e.g. every 12 months, 5 years), depending on availability of satellite data.
EO DATA AND SPATIAL RESOLUTION
High resolution (HR) satellite data e.g. Sentinel-2 with 10m resolution. Historic Landsat data with 30m resolution.
Overall thematic accuracy: > 85 – 90%. Positional accuracy: < 1 pixel of source imagery.
- Geodata in GeoTIFF, ASCII, or similar format., accompanied with Metadata (INSPIRE or ISO)
- Cartographic products in PDF, PNG or similar format
Data access options
- USB, hard drive
- Download from dedicated password-protected FTP server or cloud platform
- Viewed online through password-protected web portal (Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) compliant. The web portal can be customised to include various online analysis options, time series plots, statistical plots and to integrate user-defined datasets
- Quality Management Systems cover non-conformance issues, timely corrective actions and supporting services relating to reliability, flexibility and timely delivery of services. All quality relevant information and quality checks are documented and cover:
- Compliance of output with user requirements
- Thematic accuracy
- Thematic completeness
- Positional accuracy
- Product utility
- Tailored training can be provided on product use and integration for further geospatial analysis